Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bitter gourd stir fry

This is my first blog of the decade (that statement seems really heavy!!!) One of my new year resolutions for the year has been to eat healthy and also add new receipes to our cuisine. I intend to blog about all my experiments in my kitchen in this regard and publish all the successful ones (hope there will be many). My theme about quick n'easy n' healthy ways of cooking continue! I intended to redo my blog template before my first update for the decade but well, life got in the way.

Here's to a very healthy 2010 and the decade to come!

Ingredients


■1 medium sized bitter gourd
■2 green chilies thinly sliced
■1/4 tsp turmeric powder
■3/4 tsp red chilli powder
■Salt to taste
■grated coconut
■a few curry leaves
■1 cup thinly sliced onions
■1/4 tsp mustard seeds
■2 tbsp oil

Method

Cut the bitter gourd into half length wise. Slice along the width of the pieces as thin as you can get.
Place the bitter gourd , coconut, curry leaves and the sliced green chilies in a bowl, add the turmeric and chilli powders and salt and mix well. Keep the mixture aside for about 15 minutes.

In a shallow frying pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and add the mustard seeds and let these splutter add the onions. Fry till the onions turn brown. Add the marinated bitter gourd mixture and stir well.

Reduce the heat, and cover the pan with a tight fitting lid. Cook for about 5 minutes covered.

Remove the lid, turn up the heat, add the fried onions and mix well. Stir fry on high heat till the mixture is well browned.

The spicy bitter gourd stir fry goes best with rice and a light gravy. I love it the best with rice and plain yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment